Sunday, March 27, 2011

Procrasti Nation

I follow (sorta randomly) a really solid vlogger by the name of Philip deFranco. He has long referred to his followers as the DeFranco Nation, a moniker which Stephen Colbert also uses on his brill fake punditry show, the Colbert Report. I think it fits, but as I sat down to type out this I realised that as a whole most of Western Society may in fact fit the moniker as a the ProcrastiNation.

I just went looking for a google image relating to procrastination for my SWG blog, and found this grand lil advice blog called Magical Words (well, they use all kinds of 733t symbols instead of the letters, but us higher evolved types tend to see letters where n00b2 have used numb3r2, right?)

Anywho, I read over some of this blogger's advice regarding procrastination, and some of it really tied into what I have been pondering and discussing with friends of late: that it's one thing to realise you have a personal issue, and another to actualise change. My sister's big issue is communication, one of mine is a lack of drive, but definitely procrastination plays a role too. That said, I have been working on mine, and as a result I feel I have made some solid progress as a recovering procrastinator.

/wave "Hi, my name is Poetrix and I put things off. It's been two days since I washed my dishes."

The problem, and the subject of the above-mentioned pondering/discussion is that acknowledging is one thing, but once you have acknowledged that you have a problem, you have to actively work to fix it! That's the step that seems to be forgotten in this weird cyclical culture of blame/absolution we have created.

One of the key things that us selfish middle-aged gits lose track of is that our children see us model the very behaviours that have held us back all these years: that is part of the legacy with which we are burdening them.

There will always be distractions, but if we know we have a tendency to allow ourselves to be distracted, it is up to us, each of us alone and individually to combat that tendency, in order to actually live up to a fraction of our potential, and in order to model a better way of living and being for the children around us.

Food for thought. (Let's not consider the whole obesity/health issue thing, there...)

No comments:

Post a Comment